I knew it was coming. It was only a matter of time before Magnus caught a cold. As much as I try to keep the boys separated when Johannes is sick, its virtually impossible to do. So now here we are, Magnus is exactly two months, and he is sick. No fever, no cough, just sinus stuffiness and congestion.
I find myself less panicked than I was the first time Johannes was sick, but not at all less worried. My fears are still the same, will he be able to rest? what if he stops breathing during the night? How do I help him breathe better?
Some remedies I remembered right away, while others were new to me. But so far here is what I’ve found to work.
(1) Eucalyptus essential oil on his chest, feet and a couple of drops on his clothing every few hours as the smell disappears.
(2) Vicks humidifier on with the Vicks vapour pad running during the night.
(3) Nursing every two and a half hours. Because of his stuffy nose he will not nurse if he is awake, so I let him fall asleep and then feed him in his sleep when he is calm and his nose seems to be a little bit more clear.
(4) Putting two drops of saline solution in each nostril, followed by suctioning the buggers out with the Nosefrida snot sucker.
(5) Letting him sleep strapped to my body in the K’tan wrap during the day.
(6) Elevating his mattress so its at a little bit of an incline.
(7) Running a steaming hot shower with eucalyptus oil in the bottom and sitting in the steam with him for a couple of minutes.
This seems to help, but its not a cure. Magnus is still sick and he’s still sad and miserable. I still find myself worried, sad and contemplating whether or not to sleep on the floor of his room in a sleeping bag tonight.
Oh, and coffee…I’ve been drinking lots of coffee. Its a must.
P.S. I do realize that I need a manicure pretty badly.