We simplified a lot this time around when it comes to what we really “need” for the baby. I feel pretty comfortable that in those first few months the only real thing the baby needs is to be close to mom, health, rest and lots of milk. So with that in mind I’ve put together a list of 8 things that I can’t do without in the first few days, well more like months…. ok fine, the whole first year of baby boy’s life.
(1) the Owlet Baby Monitor, is my replacement for the old Angel Care Monitor that we had for the other two boys. It helps measure baby’s heart rate and oxygen level while being fastened to his or her foot. I have a hard time resting when I bring a new baby home, I am terrified they will stop breathing while I sleep, so this will at the very least give me a little more peace of mind in that department.
(2) The NoseFrida is a genius snot sucker! Before you get too grossed out, hear me out. First and foremost it has a filter, so no snot actually goes into your mouth. But the best part about it, is the actual fit of the device against the tiny nose of a baby. Whether its a small cold, or a baby that is a bit mucusy after birth, this snot sucker is the best! I used it so many times with Magnus, I only wish it had existed when I had Johannes.
(3) The My Brest Friend nursing pillow has truly been my “BEST” purchase to date. I got when I had Johannes, and I’ll now have it for my 3rd baby. I love how sturdy it is, the fact that it clips around my waist so I don’t have to use my hands to hold it in place. And did I mention the back support?? Yep it has that too. I have tried other pillows too, the Boppy for instance…which I found only useful for propping up my baby on the bed. As a nursing pillow this takes the cake.
(4) The Natursutten – now this is a product that I haven’t yet used with my kiddos, mostly because I don’t remember it being available when either one of them was born. But we relied on soothers from day one. And no I didn’t find it interfered with breast feeding one bit. I like that the Natursutten soother is not just orthodontic shaped, but that its made of natural materials, and made entirely of one whole piece, so hopefully pieces of it don’t come off and end up swallowed by the baby.
(5) The FeverFrida! Again a new product but one I desperately wish had existed when Johannes was born. Granted Johannes has a unique condition, but with fevers every other week, I did not sleep much. I still remember setting my alarm to wake me every 2 hours so I could make sure his fever didn’t spike. Well with the FeverFrida you don’t have to, because it attaches to your baby or kids’ body and sends you an alarm when the fever spikes. So parents can actually SLEEP when their babies are sick. Genius!
(6) Ahhh the swaddle blankets. We tried so many different ways of putting our babies to sleep in those early days, sacks, swaddlers, etc… but nothing worked as well as a good ol’ tight swaddle from daddy. Plus the giant muslin swaddles also double as burping cloths and nursing covers too…or light stroller blankets in the summer. This Little Unicorn one is a pretty cute print, but there are lots of other good options out there too.
(7) You absolutely need a white noise machine! Above all else this is a must. Your baby is used to lots of white noise while in the womb, and I swear he or she will sleep better with sounds than in complete silence. So do yourself a favour and grab a white noise machine. We have the Graco Sweet Slumber Sound Machine, which plays a variety of different sounds and music too, but really the white noise sounds are the best ones for your baby.
(8) Last but not least is the glider. We didn’t have one with Johannes or Magnus and it was a big mistake. I didn’t want to spend the money on a chair I thought we would only use for a short time, so with Johannes we had a regular arm chair and with Magnus I had a vintage one my sister in law re-upholstered for me. But I spent countless hours in the baby’s room, nursing, rocking, cuddling and soothing, and the one thing I really wish I’d had was a comfortable place to do all these things and maybe close my eyes for a minute or two. So this time around we splurged a little and I bought the Como Glider. I didn’t pay retail for it, I looked around and managed to find a perfect condition floor model for sale. But my advice to you is, get a comfortable rocker or glider. Try it out in store and close your eyes…can you almost see yourself asleep there? yes? good, now get it and take it home, you’ll thank me later.